Perched at the top of a hill that slopes down to the heart of the City, The Cultch has always been a gathering place. This once-abandoned church has developed into a national treasure and BC’s most diverse performance space.
image-testConstructed in 1909, the building at 1895 Venables Street was first known as the Grandview Methodist Church. Because it was situated in a growing residential community, the church quickly gained a dedicated following, boasting a congregation of over 800 by 1925. However, after nearly sixty years serving the community, the United Church handed the building over to Inner City Services in 1968. From there, it spent only five years as a shared space between the Vancouver Free University and storefront lawyers before becoming the Vancouver East Cultural Centre in 1973.
When the Vancouver East Cultural Centre (affectionately named “The Cultch” by its patrons) opened its doors for the first time, it was for a successful two week run of the Anna Wyman Dance Company. Since then, The Cultch’s dedication to presenting contemporary theatre, dance and music have developed its reputation as one of Vancouver’s finest cultural treasures. Its warmth and dedication to the arts have earned its place in the heart of the Vancouver community.